[Wylug-discuss] Eeepc and virus protection

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 15 18:46:42 BST 2008

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 15:11:02 Paul Brook wrote:
> The most important thing is to make sure you keep your software properly
> updated. Annother poster implied that Asus aren't doing security updates
> for the eepc. I really hope this isn't true as unpatched linux machines
> aren't really much better than your average windows box. As a rule of thumb
> you should never let a machine into the wild unless it has an active
> support/security update mechanism.

As Martin said, Asus do do security updates, but only on their supplied
packages.  I, too, have the samba update.

However, you would expect such updates for other packages to come from the
originators, so I don't see the problem, other than the need to check from
time to time.  I would think that it would be worth while getting a couple of
them to check for updates regularly and email the sysadmin - David, I
presume.

Anne