[Wylug-discuss] Future of WYLUG...

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Apr 25 17:05:21 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 04:50:13PM +0100, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> I guess that we will not be innundated with volunteers to take over as WYLUG
> organiser. However I suspect that many of us (even Dave!) might be prepared
> to take over a fraction of the role.

That's pretty much what I thought, hence the suggestion to quantify what
actually needs doing.

> So, I volunteer to be responsible for providing (or doing) talks and bringing
> the refreshments for one evening per year. I'll also be responsible for
> posting notices to mailing lists and the website for that evening, and for
> putting up any presentations on the website. If another ten do the same, we
> are sorted on that front.

Good idea sharing the refreshment duty.

Not that WYLUG's ever had any concept of funds, but it's been very
generous of Jim to provide the refreshments out of his own pocket for so
long. Perhaps we should have a donations tin that gets handed to the
person who's job it is next month to get the tea and biscuits.

> To take over Jim's role, we really need volunteers with who either work/study
> at, or have good connections with the university. I think we have enough
> WYLUG regulars in that camp to share the job. Those with good uni connections
> may have advice on the level of seniority required in that position to keep
> the university happy.
>
> Of course, if someone wants to do the entire job, please step forward :)

Group effort I reckon. Possibly with something like a wiki to help get
jobs ticked off before each meeting arrives.

James