[Wylug-discuss] Defence of Linux at work

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:54:27 BST 2008

2008/4/28 Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>:
> On Friday 25 April 2008 22:47, Christopher Brown wrote:
>  > Ahhh, a network consultant. Isn't that funny that his own could
>  > support Windows but not Linux. Definitely _not_ someone I would have
>  > consulting me. A "Certified partner" perchance? I believe you have to
>  > do MS-only to get "Gold certification". Maybe I'm just being cynical.
>
>  Yes you are being cynical, but no more so than everyone else.
>
>  When it comes to networks I have no doubts about Ash's abilities.  He's
>  already got me out of the Dodo by proving that our VOIP wasn't working
>  because of the PBX's and not because of my networks.
>
>  He definitely knows his onions.  His opinions are obviously based on his
>  experiences, which are very much non-Linux.  He was only agreeing with the
>  thoughts that the company were already having.
>
>  And at the end of the day, these fears are very well founded.  If I do get
>  knocked over tomorrow, they're stuffed.

This is a problem that I've come across before. It used to be the case
with old unix crusties or The Only COBOL Person Left In The Company. I
guess people just get scared by not just the thought of you being hit
by a bus but charging a small fortune because only you know how to run
the infrastructure. Could I also suggest documenting how you managed
the networks as another way to rebuff the criticism.

>  What this thread has proved is that this need not be the case though, and a
>  number of offers have come in, offers I hope to follow up this week.

Great to hear. Best of luck with it and perhaps in a month or so you
could do a talk at WYLUG on your experiences?

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com