[Wylug-discuss] Defence of Linux at work

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 17:50:11 BST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 14:54, Christopher Brown wrote:
> This is a problem that I've come across before. It used to be the case
> with old unix crusties or The Only COBOL Person Left In The Company. I
> guess people just get scared by not just the thought of you being hit
> by a bus but charging a small fortune because only you know how to run
> the infrastructure. Could I also suggest documenting how you managed
> the networks as another way to rebuff the criticism.

I am the unix guy, but hopefully not very crusty :D  I am also the only COBOL
person left in the company too.  Thanfully, those systems are now redundent.

> >  What this thread has proved is that this need not be the case though,
> > and a number of offers have come in, offers I hope to follow up this
> > week.
>
> Great to hear. Best of luck with it and perhaps in a month or so you
> could do a talk at WYLUG on your experiences?

That could be a possibility, the only problem being that Monday night's tend
to be my recovery nights - 48 hours isn't long enough for a weekend.

--
Gary Stainburn