[Wylug-discuss] Mailing lists...

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 09:14:09 UTC 2008

We appear to have had a mailing list outage for the last couple of
weeks. Apologies for not noticing this sooner, but the web admin front
end was working just fine and I hadn't really noticed the lack of wylug
content (or even spam).

The lug.org.uk systems, which host our mailing lists, had a security
incident. As part of the recovery from this they produced a new virtual
machine for just the mailing lists and migrated all the list related
stuff on to there. Unfortunately we're special - we initially started
with list hosting on our own machine, and then migrated to lug.org.uk a
few years back. This means our lists are setup slightly different to
everyone elses, as we use the wylug.org.uk domain rather than
lists.lug.org.uk. That domain was not moved across correctly.

Things appear to be fixed now except that the wylug-admin list appears
to still be borked. I've asked the admins to look at this.

Sorry for the problem, and not noticing it in a more timely fashion.
Unfortunately all of us, including the lug.org.uk admins, are volunteers
fitting this around work and real life, so sometimes things go wrong.

     Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.com ]