[Wylug-discuss] WYLUG OpenStreetMap thing-Sunday 24th Feb 2008

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:16:53 GMT 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008 12:57:15 Dan Walker wrote:
> On Friday 22 February 2008 11:00:40 Smylers wrote:
> > I have no experience of using wi-fi on Windows, but I've a feeling
> > Ubuntu behaves like that if none of the available signals (secured or
> > not) are ones it has a record of using before.
>
> For the record, my install of Kubuntu Gutsy doesn't attach to the nearest
> unsecured access point without being told. It does remember which ones
> you've used before, though.
>
> It's not the same front-end as the Gnome version however, obviously.

I'm a kde user, but I would expect that gnome is similar.  Mine depends on a
setting.  If you set it to connect on boot it probably would take any
unsecured wifi it could find - I haven't tested it to see, so that's
guesswork.

When taking my laptop out I simply make sure that it's not set to connect on
boot.  Then, as you say, I can see the connections I've used before and
select one if appropriate.

Anne