[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:34:36 GMT 2008

On Friday 11 Jan 2008, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've had no luck so far getting samba to work.  First, an explanation.  I
> > use samba for all my networking even though 99% of it is linux to linux.
> > The 1% windows connectivity is the reason for this.
>
> So why not have NFS and CIFS exports for things?  Just because you use
> Samba doesn't mean you can't use other things too.

That takes me into new territory - at least NFS does.  Isn't CIFS the latest
protocol for samba?

When I first set up samba, several years ago, the OS implied that they were
exclusive.  I can't remember the exact dialogue, but when defining a share, I
was asked whether it was smb or nfs, and when I chose smb it said nfs would
be disabled.

I'm reluctant to add complications, but if nfs is the answer to this
particular problem then I'll get reading.

Anne