[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 11:49:12 GMT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:

> That takes me into new territory - at least NFS does.  Isn't CIFS the latest
> protocol for samba?

Well, sort of.  That'd be to ignore SMB2 (introduced with Vista I believe)
which is implemented, to some extent, in Samba 4.  Wikipedia suggests SMB was
renamed to CIFS and then extended with more features.

> When I first set up samba, several years ago, the OS implied that they were
> exclusive.  I can't remember the exact dialogue, but when defining a share, I
> was asked whether it was smb or nfs, and when I chose smb it said nfs would
> be disabled.

I know no reason why it should cause you problems.

> I'm reluctant to add complications, but if nfs is the answer to this
> particular problem then I'll get reading.

For networks with simple security requirements, NFS is very easy to setup, and
is very reliable.

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

Seems to look good at a quick glance.

But I do feel like I'm answering a question that you might not be asking.
Exactly what are you currently failing to get working?

jh

--
"Disney has the best casting.  If he doesn't like an actor, he just tears him
  up."                                                -- Alfred Hitchcock