[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 15:58:00 GMT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, John Leach wrote:

> I actually quite like Samba/SMB and use it to connect all my boxes on my
> home LAN.  I think it generally simplifies things compared to NFS and
> provides proper authentication, rather than the usual NFS IP based auth.
> This is of course dependent on your own needs.

Although by proper, I guess you mean "nearly proper".  Most people don't run
either NFS or CIFS with kerberos auth (which is probably the closest to proper
that currently exists).  I'll agree what you end up with using CIFS is
"better", but it's certainly not ideal.

> And if you mount as CIFS (which Samba supports) you get the proper
> uid/gid stuff that you might expect with NFS anyway.  I believe it's
> POSIX compliant then (or closer to than SMB at least :).

How does multi-user authentication with CIFS mounts currently work under
linux?

jh

--
"It's like having the explorers' autographs, only more wonderful, because each
  has signed their name next to a hand-drawn penguin."