[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Fri Jan 11 18:18:24 GMT 2008

> For networks with simple security requirements, NFS is very easy to setup,
> and is very reliable.

FWIW in my experience NFS is not "very reliable". We have a variety of
machines with cross-mounted NFS shares, and a NAS-based /home via NFS.
Pretty much all of them start exhibiting weird problems when you start pushing
hard[1]. Our new expensive NAS frontend is better than the old cheapy one,
but it's still not up to production use.

That said, it's probably good enough for light domestic use and I'm not sure
SMB/CIFS would be any better.

[1] Typically workloads include compiler cross-testing, which involves
compiling tens of thousands of applications, and running these on a remote
machine via a common NFS directory.

Paul