[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:07:31 GMT 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 08:40:38 Jim Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > .....  To get to my home directory I have to use the name 'user',
> > not 'anne', but it works.
>
> The simple setup on the Eee has a fixed user "user". I did try changing
> it, but stuff breaks. Looking further, one sees "user" as _THE_ user name
> scattered around the start up scripts.
>
> I've set up sshd, so I can ssh into the Eee, and I have to remember to
> "ssh user at asus", or at least I did until I'd fixed myself up an entry in
> ~/.ssh/config on my other linux boxes :-)

Either some parts are extremely buggy, or it does some things in a very
non-standard way - witness my problems with adding samba users.  Using the -a
flag to add a user doesn't work.  Using the -D flag brings up the adduser
dialogue.  The built-in 'Windows Network' browser can't see the other
machines on my lan, but xsmbrowser can.

I think it's going to be more effort than it's worth to try to get too much
set up.  I bought it mainly for its weight - the ability to carry it across
town, up and down hills, without crippling my shoulder :-)  For general use
that is going to be fine.

The only 'advanced' think that I'd really like to achieve is the ability to
connect to my home imap server when I'm away.  I've not done that on a
standard laptop yet, so I'll be looking for good documentation.  I've read
several articles and felt little or no wiser when I finished.  One looked
promising, telling me what packages to install on the server and how to set
up the server-end authentication - then left me hanging in the air, with
nothing I could make sense of for the rest of it.

<moan over :-)>  I'll be having another try at this next week, when I've
finished the current projects.

Anne