[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba - SOLVED

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 11:26:41 GMT 2008

On 14 Jan 2008, at 11:06, Anne Wilson wrote:
> The only 'advanced' think that I'd really like to achieve is the
> ability to
> connect to my home imap server when I'm away.  I've not done that on a
> standard laptop yet, so I'll be looking for good documentation.
> I've read
> several articles and felt little or no wiser when I finished.  One
> looked
> promising, telling me what packages to install on the server and how
> to set
> up the server-end authentication - then left me hanging in the air,
> with
> nothing I could make sense of for the rest of it.

There's thunderbird on the Eee and that talks happily enough to an IMAP
server (and also to a authenticated SMTP server for sending). Works well
enough on my Eee although I've not used it to any great degree because
thunderbird is not the best client for use on a very restricted size
desktop.

Setting up the IMAP server is another, more complex, but not rocket
science issue.  Depends very much on what you are starting from.

     Nigel.