[Wylug-discuss] Cheap Virtualisation-Capable Laptop

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Sun Jul 20 21:39:52 BST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 07:45:34PM +0100, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following the recent thread on a similar topic, I wondered if anyone
> might suggest a really cheap laptop that supports Intel/AMD-based
> virtualisation?
>
> For years I've been using some ancient Thinkpads for training, and they
> would still be perfect, if I could run all my courses on Linux only.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't do that, because my students have to test stuff
> on IE7 and IE8.

Damn "the rest of the web" :-/

> IEs4Linux does have the IE7 rendering engine, but it's a pretty flaky and
> tricky to include in an automatic installation, while installing IE7-8
> directly under Wine looks like a non-starter.

I've never found that to be a stable solution, to be honest.

> So, I'm considering the option of embedding a Windows VM in an
> customised Ubuntu auto-install.

Sounds reasonable.

> I'd love to use something like an EEEPC, but I'm guessing that their
> celeron/atom processors don't support virtualisation.

I frequently use Virtualbox for the odd bit of IE CSS testing, and so
that Mrs H can watch ITVs miserable attempts at VOD.

It seems to perform quite well, and none of my machines do the fancy
hardware virtualisation - they're all quite ancient really.

What am I missing?

[Also... if you're wanting rid of any ancient thinkpads, let me know. I
love mine to bits but I'll bet it's more ancient that yours. I can't
stand the modern cheap laptops, they're all **bendy**!]

Cheers,

James