[Wylug-discuss] Cheap Virtualisation-Capable Laptop

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 19:45:55 BST 2008

Hi,

Following the recent thread on a similar topic, I wondered if anyone
might suggest a really cheap laptop that supports Intel/AMD-based
virtualisation?

For years I've been using some ancient Thinkpads for training, and they
would still be perfect, if I could run all my courses on Linux only.

Unfortunately, I can't do that, because my students have to test stuff
on IE7 and IE8.

IEs4Linux does have the IE7 rendering engine, but it's a pretty flaky and
tricky to include in an automatic installation, while installing IE7-8
directly under Wine looks like a non-starter.

So, I'm considering the option of embedding a Windows VM in an
customised Ubuntu auto-install.

I'd love to use something like an EEEPC, but I'm guessing that their
celeron/atom processors don't support virtualisation.

Dave