[Wylug-discuss] Cryptography skill-share, all welcome, this Sunday

Mark Ruddell mark at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jul 28 01:29:16 BST 2008

No need to book a place, just turn up.

CRYPTODAY: a GNU/Linux & free software skillshare
<http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk/content/view/128/1/> - Brought to you
by the common place  IT collective.
<http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk/content/view/89/53/>

At our last sunday skill-share we decided to carry on trying to do these
things on the 1st Sunday of each month. We decided to stick with having
a mixture of basic and advanced stuff each time, as this seems to be
going well. But this time, we're going to try doing the 'advanced' bit
in the morning rather than afternoon. We opted for a theme of
*cryptography* for August 3rd, starting at 10AM.
<http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk/component/option,com_events/task,view_detail/agid,151/year,2008/month,08/day,03/Itemid,75/>
Then in the afternoon we'll do installs / clinic.

We will be talking about how & why 'ordinary' computer users can do the
basics of crypto. Especially, to spread the message that even if you
have 'nothing to hide', you might still want to protect yourself from
identity theft and profiling; and that the more people use encryption,
the more effective it is. So even if you don't think this stuff applies
to you... maybe it does.

Possible contributions already offered are: how to use GPG encrypted
email; securing your laptop & USB flash stick; encrypted files &
filesystems; loop devices, device mapper modules and crypto support in
the 2.6 kernel series; encrypting a /home directory.

Mark