[Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions

Seb James sjames at wmltd.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 18:21:19 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 18:06 +0100, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> I am still looking for a cheap laptop, (having had no success on ebay yet). To
> that end I had the following discussion with PC World. Sorry for the reverse
> nature of the following correspondence. Should I persue this or just give in
> and go with a Dell - don't they deserve some support ?

I think it's _really_ important to support vendors like Dell, and
others, who will sell a machine with a pre-installed Linux OS. Even if
that means buying a laptop that wouldn't otherwise be number 1 on your
list.

If you don't like Dell, then buy from a smaller vendor, but _do_ buy a
computer with Linux pre-installed, even if you plan to replace whatever
it comes with with your own preferred Distro.

Not only will this help to nurture a Linux friendly PC supplier
ecosystem, you will benefit from the knowledge that your hardware is all
Linux compatible, so it's good all round.

Cheers,

Seb James