[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-announce] WYLUG Social and micro-mapping

ROBERTS, Mike mike.roberts at astrium.eads.net
Mon Jun 23 08:29:31 BST 2008

> Keep in mind that at 54 degrees north, the GPS satellites are
> largely towards the southern sky.  There will be times where
> they are straight overhead or slightly to the northeast and
> northwest depending on your longitude.  These satellites will
> never be to the north from this latitude.  Therefore, it will
> be helpful to avoid blockage from southern sky.  I am not
> sure how much blockage the human body will add.  It might be
> good to try some experiments ahead of time to determine how
> much your body blocks the signals.  These satellites are in
> 12 hour orbits, so it would be good to try it several times
> throughout the day as the geometries are constantly changing.

Hi Roy

I am afraid that isnt quite right. There are a constellation of GPS
satellite in 6 different orbits at different angles in MEO (Medium Earth
Orbits) These criss cross the planet meaning that there are always a
number close to being overhead. GPS satellihes are not geostationary and
do not occupy the Clarke belt. So they are not predominantly to the
South as is the case for Sky and other telecomms satellites.

Check out the wikipedia article here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS to
see an animation of the orbits and for a much more detailed explanation
of how GPS works

The human body will attenuate the signal as it is full of quite a lot of
water. The GPS signals are in the  >1Ghz frequency range and people
arent tansparent at this end of the radio spectrum.

The geometries are indeed continually changing. Your GPS receiver has a
thing called an "almanac" to help it figure out where they will be at
what time and it also down loads an "ephemeris" from the satellites when
it is turned on which allow it to figure out where on the planet you
are.

You will have more problems from reflections off tall buildings in built
up areas and from trees in leafy suburban streets attenuating the
signals if you have older recievers I suspect. Modern devices are much
much better at getting a lock and can even work in extremely shielded
loctatios such as might be found on a system used to track stolen
vehicles which needs to be deeply hidden in the bodywork of a car.

I work for Astrium who will be building the next generation Gallileo GPS
contellation.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

--

The views expressed in this email are those of the correspondent
and are not those of his employer.

> roym

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately, do not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it
for any purpose or disclose its content to any person, but delete this
message and any attachments from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all
liability if this email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or
falsified.