[Wylug-discuss] GNU/Linux & Free software & Tech Activism events at The Common Place [Fwd: Klaatu Barada Nikto]

Mark Ruddell mark at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jun 24 17:42:38 BST 2008

Dear Wylugers,

I thought some of you might be interested in this. I sent it to the announce list but it had a silly title which I presume is why it wasn't distributed. Looking forward to meeting some more of you soon,

Cheers,
Mark

* GNU/Linux & Free software & Tech Activism events *

Following on from the great success of the first Free Software skill-share at The Common Place [http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk] on 1st June, we've decided to set up a rolling program of similar events on the first Sunday of every month. All will be welcome, especially our friends from WYLUG.

/Next event: Sunday 6th July 10am-6pm/
/Your hostess (event coordinator): Jessica Fishenden/
/Suggested program: Led by JimDog/

We want to keep these events inclusive to newcomers, but also keep up interest for those who already know a thing or 0x02, so we're asking that newbies come along at 10am so we can do things like installing Ubuntu, demonstrating how to do simple 'productivity' things, 'FLOSS clinic', etc. before lunch. After lunch (one-ish), we'll try to do some slightly more stretching things.

This time around JimDog is going to be leading the session. The plan is to install and demonstrate VirtualBox (including demo of building from source), then use this to demonstrate the BackTrack distro as a virtualised LiveCD. We'll look at the software on that distro and discuss how it could be used to attack your computer, in order to allow you to make your computer safer against such attacks. Also, we'll be demonstrating how wifi networks using WEP are vulnerable, so people will understand why they shouldn't use WEP. This will include a live demo of cracking a WEP password set by a 'member of the audience' - watch out Derren Brown...

/Possible future topics:/

    * Encrypted USB sticks and plausible deniability
    * Secure email, including content encryption and 'end-to-end' privacy with SSL/TLS
    * How to use free software at work if you're not allowed to
    * Anonymising proxies, onion routers, and FreeNet
    * BackTrack revisited

 ... plus whatever people want to offer?