[Wylug-discuss] Call for talks/ideas for talks

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Thu Jun 26 00:27:22 BST 2008

> I get tons of invaluable information by email. How do I save it to so I
> can keep it in a normal file system?

File/Save As?

Most clients I've seen use either mbox or maildir format mailboxes, both of
which are fairly straightforward plaintext based formats if you want to
extract things in an automated fashion.

I'm fairly sure mutt allows you to pipe your messages to a script, so you can
use this to do whatever you want.  If your client doesn't do this I guess you
can save them in a directory and have a cron job process them.

Seriously though, a big pile of text files is a crappy way of storing
information.  Much better to put it into a wiki/CMS/knowledge base so you can
organise it properly, add links, etc.  Particularly if it's for anything
other than personal use this makes the difference between knowing that you've
seen it somewhere, and actually being able to find what you want :-)

Paul