[Wylug-discuss] Call for talks/ideas for talks

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 00:09:01 BST 2008

Tom Hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just nudging the list for volunteers to give talks in future
> WYLUGs, or topics that people would enjoy seeing talks on.
> The only reply last time was from Christopher Brown asking for
> something on sourcecode management; git, SVN, CVS diff, patch etc.
> Anyone doing anything cool here?

I've volunteered to give a talk, but what I'd really, really, REALLY
like to hear about, and I've asked before, and you can't do it in 'doze
so it's a hopefully good "we're better than them" topic:

I get tons of invaluable information by email. How do I save it to so I
can keep it in a normal file system? Would that be easier to do in an
earlier client such as mutt or pine? Or not? If the answer is yes, in
layman's terms, how does one get such a client going in practical terms,
terms I can pass on to others? Even if I have to initially configure it
for them once you've shown me?

All the header stuff is great for routing and problem solving, but it's
a bitch to work your way through in a plain text file to get to the
info. I'm talking here, of course, about ordinary users and about those
of us who use emails as an integral part of our business processes
outside of our IT duties/considerations.

IME emails are saved within the client application and not as part of
the system's wider user filing structure. I cannot overstress how much
an ability to select those to be incorporated into the structure and
save/copy/symlink them there, without headers beyond from-to, would be.

Is that a possibility, or a presentation of why it's not currently
feasible, please?

Cheers,

Mike

P.S I've cut the rest, but am in general agreement. M