[Wylug-discuss] Trying to use Linux at home

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Jun 26 10:10:15 BST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:02:37AM +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Smylers wrote:
>
> >But not all users have need for such applications.  Possibly counter-
> >intuitively, it can be the more technical Windows users who find it
> >hardest to adapt to Linux.
>
> I'd definitely agree with that.  For the typical user who just wants to use
> the interweb and knock up the odd document, they don't want linux or
> windows,
> they want a web browser and a word processor.
>
> Given that OpenOffice is closer to Office of old than Office 2007 is, and
> Firefox 3 is close enough to IE that a lot of users wouldn't even notice,
> the
> OS really doesn't matter.

Agreed. People don't use an OS, they use applications.

I've run solely Linux at home for a long time now. The kids don't notice
(in fact they very much prefer it over the wonky Windows boxes they have
at school), my wife doesn't notice, and most importantly... friends who
visit and want to use it don't notice either. They sit down, check the
train times, facebook etc and just get on with it.