[Wylug-discuss] Call for talks/ideas for talks

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:23:56 BST 2008

Hi all,

I am just nudging the list for volunteers to give talks in future
WYLUGs, or topics that people would enjoy seeing talks on.
The only reply last time was from Christopher Brown asking for
something on sourcecode management; git, SVN, CVS diff, patch etc.
Anyone doing anything cool here?

I would like to see more in the Programming Language Shootout vein and
I think "Getting by on the CLI" could be a great talk if an old wizard
showed off just how productive you can be without X running. Who would
be interested in a shell one-liner contest?, perhaps 3 mins
explanation with a prize for the best.

I (sadly) have not had much time for playing with new stuff other than
work so my last request pretty much remains what I want to see talks
on, so I repeat it here.
Samba, LDAP, Rails, Haskell,
Functional Programming, Hacking the Linux kernel, Thin clients, High
performance computing, Why I love <SomeProgrammingLanguage>,
Concurrency, Authentication, Cryptography, security, Apache, Cool
things to do with FUSE, KVM, getting by with the CLI, My EMACS setup,
Why should you use {free,open,net}BSD?, I use linux in
<SomeInterestingPlace>, Apache, I hack on <SomeProject> and its ace!,
Web 2.0 - its not just a useful set of technologies, its also a
buzzword, Why Javascript does not suck, Linux Media Centres,
filesystems in linux, I replaced <Something> with <SomethingFree> and
it also performed better.

Please consider what cool stuff you are doing at the moment that you
may be able to make a talk out of or at least suggest what you would
like to see. If you have given a talk in the past, please consider
doing an update.

See you soon,
Tom