[Wylug-discuss] Trying to use Linux at home.

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 08:58:10 BST 2008

Retry of Linux at home.

I googled ubuntu install dual boot and got a very clear simple set of
instructions
And installed Hardy Heron 50/50 partition with Windows XP pro. I allowed it
to import
Documents and settings from XP. It took about 1 hour to install, including
Evolution.
Evolution is excellent, much faster than Outlook and collects emails very
fast.

Then the system did 2 loads of downloads which took ages, the speed dropping
to very very slow.
Total number of downloaded updates/upgrades was in excess of 200, first lot
circa 40, second lot 195.

After that Firefox is now version 3 Final. I downloaded Picasa for linux and
whilst it works OK the rendering engine appears very poor, even worse than
Windows. One of the reasons I like Picasa on Windows is the very high
quality rendering engine, making photos pin sharp.

I've still got to do the other bits tonight, but it is a useable system.
Having the dual boot seems sensible. I seem to have only got a partial
import from XP to Ubuntu of Documents and settings, is there a way to bring
stuff across?

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts, I posted here because I thought
I'd get some help and I have.

Nick

------------------------------------
EBI Manufacturing Co Ltd