[Wylug-discuss] Trying to use Linux at home

John R Hudson hudsonjr at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 25 19:03:06 BST 2008

> From: "Nick Moulsdale" <nick at ebi.co.uk>
> Date: 2008/06/25 Wed PM 02:34:27 BST
> To: <wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk>
> Subject: [Wylug-discuss] Trying to use Linux at home.
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1200, with 120Gb Hd and 750Mb
Memory. It got slow so I thought
> lets try out a  Linux Live Distro.
>
> So in the last week I have downloaded and installed (not
just "live CD" but actual install)
> the following Distros
>
> Fedora 9
> Ubuntu hardy Heron 8.04
> Mandriva Linux one Spring 2008
> SUSE Linux Free
>
> My results were pretty awful.

Personally, I would never recommend anyone to go straight
from Windows to Linux. The learning curve is too steep and
there are certain applications for which there is no
adequate Linux equivalent.

I still have dual boot because I have a scanning program
for which there is nothing approaching it in Linux and the
Open University expects it for some programs. For the first
couple of years (of course Linux was less well developed
then) I kept using Windows regularly until, as I gradually
became more confident with each of the Linux alternatives,
I gradually transferred to them.

John