[Wylug-discuss] Defence of Linux at work and more

David Parkin david at davidparkin.com
Wed May 14 21:54:12 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 17:41 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got a problem.  I've got a network at work based around Linux servers.
> These are mainly just network file servers, but key ones include our Exim /
> Dovecot / Spamassassin based mail server, our Apache / PHP/ Postgresql, and
> our Bacula based backup solution.
>
> We are currently working through a risk assessment / disaster recovery
> evaluation and the management have grave concerns about their dependancy on
> me.
>
> This was highlighted today by the company we have in doing some network
> consultancy.  He said that he could name 20 companies - including his own -
> that could walk in and support a MS based network with Windows Server,
> Exchange SQL server etc., but he could not name one that could support Linux.
> And went onto support the argument by saying that if he could, they probably
> wouldn't be able to support it to the same degree because of the number of
> flavours of Linux.
>
> If I can't put up a strong enough counter-argument we could end up buying in a
> bucket load of MS software to do what is already working.
>
> Anyone got any possible responses, or better still companies that would be
> willing to provide such support.
>
> Gary
I would suggest that finding support for Linux or Windoze is not the
answer your bosses are looking for. Regardless of the software
infrastructure any emergency replacement needs to be aware of local
procedures.

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:26 +0100, Mike Goodman wrote:

> Gary, I can give you a list of small, independent businesses who work
> entirely on Linux and all of whom are capable of supporting and
> maintaining what you do as you have described it. In the event of your
> sad demise, there are several within very close proximity who could
> provide an interim service whilst helping your company to recruit your
> replacement. There are many, many more at longer range.

Could such a list be hosted on the WYLUG site? It seems that firms such as Gary's
are under the impression that there is little support for Linux? This is to no-ones benefit.
Maybe a small donation, from included firms, could cover the costs of tea and biscuits at meetings?

--
David

david at davidparkin.com