[Wylug-discuss] Re: Hardy Heron on the EeePC

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed May 14 10:07:47 BST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:44:57AM +0100, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Hello there
>
> >I installed Hardy on my 701 using a USB DVD drive, then tweaked it
> >using the install program mentioned towards the end of
> >http://wiki.eeeuser.com/installing_ubuntu_8.04 - it's written by Dale,
> >a member of York LUG and the chap behind http://efficientpc.co.uk.
> >That did the trick fine and I've been very pleased with the result.
> >There are a lot more tips & tricks here -
> >http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly - I
> >enabled processor scaling using the instructions and it has helped eke
> >out battery life.
>
> This is also useful for me but the next question is what about the webcam ?
>
> So far I haven't seen this working after an installation of something like
> Hardy or Debian Etch.  Can anyone point me at some more info about
> getting the webcam working ?

If you install the eeepc ACPI modules, you can enable by toggling a flag
in /proc.

sudo /bin/bash -c "echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/camera"

... to turn it on, and replace the 'echo 1' with 'echo 0' to turn it
off.

Or, as Martin said, you could enable it permanently in the BIOS, but you
may reduce the battery life by doing this.

James