[Wylug-discuss] vnstat, cron, or how to monitor network traffic volumes when on virgin media

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:04:45 UTC 2008

2008/11/22 Tim Waters (chippy) <chippy2005 at gmail.com>:
> Hey there,
>
> What I want to do is keep track of how much I download / upload within
> certain hours because my ISP,  Virgin Media has a traffic management
> policy [1]. Which can be a pain if I'm downloading distros to test
> out, etc.

[snip]

> Or, do people have better / nicer solutions for the same problem?

Hi Tim

I use the lazy way of doing this. I have one of the Linksys Linux
routers (WTR54GL) and flashed it with Tomato
<http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato>. That gives a real time graph of
the transfer in & out of the router, and options for seeing the last
2/4/6, etc hours worth. There is the option to have it store the stats
on a network share (uses SMB/CIFS) so you can look at historical
usage. I run a web/mail server on my network as well as a desktop and
various family laptops, so checking the router is the only effective
way for me to monitor what's going on.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  http://www.dbg400.net
AS/400 | iSeries | System i Open Source/Free Software