[Wylug-discuss] What Distro to give away....

Phil Foxton phil at thefoxtons.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 07:39:21 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 00:33 +0100, Alex Howells wrote:
> Lee Evans wrote:
> >> And my advice to people considering a career in IT? Don't do it unless
> >> you have a real passion for it, the starting salaries are poor and the
> >> work menial, it can take 10 years, and a real talent, before you start
> >> seeing decent money.
> >
> > This is one of the daftest comments I've ever seen on the Wylug lists - an
> > incredible generalisation, and an inaccurate one that that.
>
> Second this comment. I've done about 4 years of contract and part-time,
> before a couple of years of full-time employment.  Whilst I'm still a
> relatively young 'un I'd say I'm having a decent enough time in IT.
>
> If you're defining "decent money" as £50k and expecting that with a very
> small amount of experience then I'd just say you're being unrealistic,
> so perhaps some clarification is in order?

Oh how quick people are to comment without understanding the person
making the comment, what's that saying? Oh yes, to truely understand a
man walk a mile in his shoes...

FWIW I have 20 years experience in IT, I have seen the great times, the
good times, and the absolutely abysmal times.  So those that have had 4
years experience in IT (or less or slightly more), shut up until you
know just what you are talking about, and I suggest that shortly you
will see just how bad the IT job market can get (speaks someone who was
working in IT during the last two recessions)

I still stick by my "Don't do it" comment as I feel that IT is not a
worthwhile career to be starting out in now.  Not that I iam going to
change career, just I don't think it would be a wise choice for someone
leaving school now, especially with the world market about to become
saturated by more off-shore workers, now that China is opening up more.