[Wylug-discuss] Linux Software for Cycling

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 12:59:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am getting a bit serious about cycling training over the winter, so
that I can have more fun when the weather warms up again.

I've been thinking about using software for the following:

  1. Monitoring heart rate, cadence, distance, wattage, etc. during
     training sessions (indoor and outdoor).

  2. GPS tracking of location, elevation, times, on road trips.

  3. Creating stats, graphs, projections, etc. to track hoped-for
     improvements in fitness and performance.

  4. Virtual reality training runs on indoor 'Turbo Trainers', e.g.
     pretending to climb Alpe d'Huez or the Tormalet, by defining route
     profiles then synchronising Google Earth style play back with
     feedback from the Turbo Trainer (speed, resistence, etc.).

  5. Tie-ins with openstreetmap.

There's plenty of kit around which does all this stuff through
Windows-only software.

I don't have a serious ideological problem with using Windows stuff, but
I'd like the option of tying the different bits together, e.g. creating
virtual training runs based on data taken from real rides in Yorkshire.

I'm pretty sure that every Windows package will have the 'Genuine
Advantage' of being fully incompatible with the stuff from every other
provider ... so here's my questions:

  1. Anyone know of existing Linux/Java packages in this area?

  2. Anyone have any experience with programming for cycling/sports
     monitors and training kit, i.e. what should I be looking at and
     looking out for?

Dave