[Wylug-discuss] Linux Software for Cycling

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 01:22:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 06:42:39PM +0000, John R Hudson wrote:
> Main point if you want to contribute to OSM is don't save
> the data; download it in its raw state.
>
> >   5. Tie-ins with openstreetmap.
> >
> Then download JOSM to input the comments on the waypoints
> into the track.

Please don't think I'm being sniffy about this, but I should probably
point out that I've been contributing to OSM for quite some time.

To clarify the meaning of my original queries re GPS and OSM:

Basically, what I had in mind was automated 2-way interaction between
OSM data and my own cycling stuff e.g. using OSM data to create route
profiles and estimate training schedules or adding extra metadata to OSM
from my GPS and training records ... as well as adding to the basic OSM
mapping.

While I'm fully committed to OSM, I have to confess that the massive
range of extra stuff in Google Maps and Google Earth (e.g. masses of
user-created content, businesses, photos, video, 3D, streetview, etc.)
are pretty much invaluable to me ... especially for planning routes,
trips and visits.

Dave