[Wylug-discuss] TheCommonPlace was: Leeds Hackspace

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Fri Apr 10 16:16:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 15:09 +0100, mark wrote:
> Hi Johnny, Hi everyone.
>
> I don't know how much this crosses over with your interests, but we do
> have a kind-of hack group at The Common Place
> (http://www.thecommonplace.org.uk). We meet up on the first Sunday of
> every month from 10-4, with some of us continuing work on projects
> between meetings. The meetings are free and free, open to all and
> usually consist of a mixture of collaborative working on hardware and
> software projects, teaching and learning according to the wishes of who
> turns up, and a GNU/Linux clinic. Recent topics of discussion have
> included development of security resources for activists, free media,
> maintaining a small suite of computers as a community resource in our
> cafe area, and more. We were recently featured in Linux Format. We have
> a mailing list tcpit at lists.riseup.net - if you want to join please send
> an email introducing yourself to the list.
>
> Please excuse me for not joining your google group but I would like to
> be kept up to date about how your plans go - and good luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hi,

I have often thought of attending this GNU Linux event but an unease
holds me back. What doesn't help and I would love clarifying is like
what you quoted in your message - what is?:

"development of security resources for activists"

I maybe paranoid here, but the above can be taken quite a number of ways
and seeing from the common place web site; and some of the groups that
use the location naturally can breed concern in some about what they
could be helping others accomplish.

Regards

Phil