[Wylug-discuss] TheCommonPlace was: Leeds Hackspace

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Sat Apr 11 09:52:44 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 10:06 +0100, mark wrote:

> Hi Phil
>
> Philip Wyett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have often thought of attending this GNU Linux event but an unease
> > holds me back. What doesn't help and I would love clarifying is like
> > what you quoted in your message - what is?:
> >
> > "development of security resources for activists"
>
> This is about helping people who are involved in non-violent direct
> action and legal social movements to protect their right to privacy (and
> other human rights guaranteed in UK and international law).

Non-violent direct action which is the right of all is what I assumed
and hoped was the case. Thank you for confirming this. I do however feel
the "for activists" may be narrowing the amount of people you may get to
attend the venue for the skills share and more inclusive talks to head
events and attract a larger diverse range of new people; and then more
narrowed post main talk BOF's. Many people may want to rightly learn
howto leverage GNU Linux and use it's excellent security tools, but
maybe not needing them to the degree that an activist may.

The suggestion above may already be the case in most talks and how the
event does already work. Sorry if I am suggesting and stating the
obvious.

> > I maybe paranoid here, but the above can be taken quite a number of ways
> > and seeing from the common place web site; and some of the groups that
> > use the location naturally can breed concern in some about what they
> > could be helping others accomplish.
>
> I can't speak for everything that goes on there, but if you tell me
> which groups cause you concern, I'll see if I can address your unease as
> best I can.

Thanks. I will take this one off list with you if you do not mind.

> Also, regarding the reply from kai.che at ntlworld.com - I have no idea who
> that is and I don't think he/she has ever been to one of our events.

Now my tcpit list subscription is active. I will have a look through the
archives to make myself aware and bring myself up to speed on past
conversations.

Regards

Phil