[Wylug-discuss] Buying Advice: TV vs. Monitor vs. Hybrid

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Sat Apr 18 16:14:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

As many will already know, I'm in the market for a new monitor.

Like many others, I've been using a conventional PC monitor for
watching TV and video.

Before I splash the cash on another standard monitor, I thought I better
ask someone who follows hardware affairs, whether or not there would be
any merit in buying a DTV instead?

The issue arises, because I no longer have the time or patience for
maintaining and upgrading the roll-your-own PVR, streaming, etc. that
I've relied on to date.

In future I'm minded to buy off-the-shelf 'boxes' for DVBT/DVBS
reception, video recording and distribution, etc. ...  although I'll
still favour linux-based units with proper networking and a degree of
re-configurability.

The questions that first spring to mind are:

  1. Do TVs still have lower DPIs, refresh rates etc.?

  2. What, if any, are the deficiencies of PC monitors for video?

     N.B. I have no interest in playing video games.

  3. What are the connectivity and compatibility elephant traps to avoid
     as far as Linux is concerned? e.g. DRM, cables and socket,

  4. What other questions should I be asking myself and potential
     suppliers?

Dave