[Wylug-discuss] Buying Advice: TV vs. Monitor vs. Hybrid

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Sat Apr 18 19:05:42 UTC 2009

>   1. Do TVs still have lower DPIs, refresh rates etc.?
>   2. What, if any, are the deficiencies of PC monitors for video?

Refresh rates are largely irelevant with LCD displays.

PC monitors generally don't have builtin speakers, and often have little or no
upscaling capabilities. A decent TV is more likely to have a smart scaler so
lower resolution input looks "better". A TV will probably also have a builtin
freeview decoder. Whether these features are useful depends on how much other
gear you have lying around :-)

Smaller monitors (<=17") tend to be 3:4 aspect, whereas A TV is almost
certainly widescreen.

For 19-22" displays there's probably very little difference between a monitor
and a TV.

Large PC displays (24"+) tend to have a resolution higher than even full HD
TV, so a similarly sized TV will be much cheaper. The same is probably true
for many smaller screens - you can find cheaper TVs because they're using
lower resolution displays. If you don't have/care about HD quality stuff
(i.e. blue-ray disks) then you pretty much don't care about resolution.
Standard DVD and TV are comedically low in computer terms (~800x600).
As a side note, I'm extremely sceptical about HD quality making any practical
improvement unless you're already using a huge (40"/50") display.

>   3. What are the connectivity and compatibility elephant traps to avoid
>      as far as Linux is concerned? e.g. DRM, cables and socket,

A TV/Monitor should accept+display unencrypted images. i.e. you only need to
care if you're hooking your disply up to something that already enforces DRM
restrictions. Linux basically doesn't do DRM, so this is only an issue if you
have other devices (typically a blue-ray player) that you want to hookup.

HDMI and DVI are basically the same thing, they just use different physical
connectors. Converting from one to the other is a trivial adapter/cable,
available for not much more than the price of postage.
The real difference is that HDMI includes audio over the same cable - this
uses spare bandwidth on the video lines, so still works even if you're using
mutant HDMI/DVI connectors :-)

If you're still using crufty old analogue connections then you've just got to
check whether the display has the relevant inputs - D-Sub (aka VGA) or
s-video/composite.

>   4. What other questions should I be asking myself and potential
>      suppliers?

In my experience the most important factor is the quality of the display
itself, whether it be a TV or a monitor. I've seen may to many of both that
have really lousy colour reproduction or crappy viewing angles.

Paul