[Wylug-discuss] Advert for a Linux C++ programmer

Seb James sjames at wmltd.co.uk
Mon Jul 6 08:47:36 UTC 2009

Hi list,

My company, WML, is seeking some additional programming help.

WML sells Linux-based network appliances which create and manipulate
documents in enterprise (esp. retail and insurance) environments. The
documents are mostly destined for printers; our devices behave like
printers, as far as the sending application is concerned.

We're looking for someone who is self-motivated and can work from their
own home via the internet, as well as carrying out the odd visit to my
home office in Sheffield. The work on offer will include some of:

* Extending C++ code written to generate and manipulate PDF documents.

* Extending our browser-based device configuration software (C
++/html/javascript).

* Building and rebuilding the Linux From Scratch operating system core.

* Programming our devices up ready for shipment.

* Improving the shell-script based method for programming our devices up
ready for shipment.

* Writing documentation (written in docbook xml) for our products.

All the development is carried out on Debian hosts, so good familiarity
with the Linux programming environment is a prerequisite, especially GNU
Autotools. A willingness to use emacs (or ability to exactly mimic the
auto-indentation of emacs in own editor) is also necessary. The only
programming language which is a prerequisite for this work is C++.

The core of our products is Linux and CUPS, so a familiarity with CUPS
is highly desirable. We also make use of MySQL in our systems, so some
SQL experience is also of interest. Our user-interface is web based, so
knowledge of javascript and basic html will be useful.

We'd happily take on the right candidate for full time or part time
work. Numerate (compsci, physics, maths etc) students and recent
graduates are welcome to apply.

If interested, please send a CV to me at sjames at wmltd.co.uk.

very best regards,

Seb James