[Wylug-discuss] Release Parties?

Tommy He tommy.he at linux.com
Tue Nov 17 00:01:55 UTC 2009

Hello computer gurus,

I am Tommy He from Leeds University MSc Computing and Management. This email
is sent to seek the possibility to hold a release party with CompSoc. From
your website I found you plan about the Linux Install Fest. I would be
honored to be a part of the release party to spread Linux and the ideas
behind.

Recently a lot of Linux distributions release their new edition, such as
Ubuntu 9.10, openSUSE 11.2 and Fedora 12. Hence it would be an excellent
opportunity to make these newly improved Linux distributions known to the
public.

Since I am quite to Leeds and has no idea about the number of the Linux
enthusiasts, my initial plan for the release party contains only two parts:
Live-media generating station and leaflet distribution. Here are the
essential things for the plan:

   - A public accessible place:
   - Better to have power supply.
      - Wonderful to have WiFi covered.
   - Some Linux gurus:
      - Answer some common question about Linux, especially for these
      distribution.
      - Party never has enough people. The more, the better.
      - Several laptops installed with these distributions:
   - Used to demonstrate promotion clips about Linux.
      - Offer hands-on trying of some cool or important applications, such
      as office suite, IDE, and games.
      - Generating Live media for people to bring home and try.
   - Leaflets and brochures to distribute:
      - Making people aware of these distribution.
      - Provide some contact information (mailing list or forum) once they
      somehow wanted to try Linux, they know where to find help.

Currently what I has:

   - My personal laptop with Fedora 12 installed.
   - Myself, a Fedora enthusiast and experienced Linux user.
   - Some nice designed brochures download from Fedora Project Wiki.

Frankly, this is my first time to plan the whole release party. I know there
must be something I did not consider in the plan. However, I believe it will
be better if there are more people to join in and collaborate on it. That's
why I send this email to you and a copy to West Yorkshire Linux User Group.
If you are interested, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Tommy He

--
Take a Deep Breath out of Windows