[Wylug-discuss] Wireless Printer Recommendations?

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Fri Apr 2 17:57:33 UTC 2010

>I'm looking for a wireless printer, good for photos and general/business
>printing. Photocopying and scanning would be great too. Duplex would be a
>plus too.
>
>Can anyone recommend one? I'm thinking HP is the way to go, but willing to
>be corrected!

Needed to replace my office all-in-one just before Xmas - an HP Officejet
d155xi from Septermber 2002 - after its scanner started to fail to warm
up relaibly.  [btw I now know that this was a known problem with some HP
models in the early naughties and might just be able to fix it by cleaning
the mirrors - if I can find a non-destructive way into the mechanism!]

It was a no-brainer, for my requirements, to get another HP and I settled
on the HP Officejet 6500 E709n: a decision I would take again today.
Unlike the d155xi which lucked incoming e-fax functionality the 6500
supports in/out e-fax (unless its a colour fax which it dumps to paper!).
[The more direct replacement for the d155xi would be the next model up
which has larger glass, two proper paper trays etc. but it wasn't worth
the extra cost].

Amazon was the best price I found in December, but in January Staples
were selling the same model [advertising in the Times] for about 70
pounds - C'est la vie - we got a couple more!

Andrew