[Wylug-discuss] New FSFE Free PDF Readers Campaign

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Fri Sep 17 15:49:26 UTC 2010

>The web sites I manage will not point to pdfreaders.org.
>Frankly its a "it can't be good for you unless it hurts" campaign.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments that the approach rather than
message here is poor - the pdfreaders.org thing really isn't helping anyone
and is probably detrimental to the not unreasonable goal of promoting
alternatives to commercial software.

A recent research study found Acrobat to be the most exploited application
on the Internet, so we regularly deploy an alternative to our client
networks and encourage others to do the same.

The simple fact is that most people aren't aware and for the most part
probably don't care about 'free as in freedom' software and are quite happy
with any 'free as in beer' application that is easy to install and easy to
use. You've hit the nail on the head that people certainly won't sacrifice
convenience/usability or functionality for a bit of someone else's moral
high ground.

Lee