[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Dec 14 16:13:35 UTC 2011

On September 22nd Dave Fisher wrote:

> On 22 September 2011 09:22, james riley <jimr1603 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Much against my better judgement, I'm _contemplating_ purchase of a
> > portable device for reading PDFs etc. Anybody got a recommendation?
>
> I was pretty sceptical myself, but changed my mind after having been
> loaned a Kindle for a long journey. I can't recommend it more highly
> ... utterly brilliant ... a small, basically simple, device that does
> everything it promises and much more than I'd expected.
>
> I'm still learning the UI, but I'm so convinced by e-ink, <Snip>

Having ruled out a Kindle because of its incompatibilities with Leeds
library e-books, I'm now investigating the Kobo (as pushed by WH Smith).
Anybody tried one?

So far as I can tell it uses the same e-ink technology as the Kindle,
and has similar physical dimensions, so I'm hoping that Dave's and
others' enthusiasm for the Kindle will also apply to the Kobo.

The Kobo is supported by Leeds libraries' e-books, according to their
help: http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/Default.aspx?type=ebook

This blogger reports a Kobo as being mountable as USB mass storage under
Linux, whereupon you can simply copy book files to it, and mentions
borrowing library books:
http://www.darkcoding.net/software/kobo-ereader-touch-on-ubuntu-linux/

> I've seen a few more open devices, but they are extortionately
> expensive (short production runs) and most have performance flaws
> (page turning speed, poor UI, poor battery life, etc.)

Was the Kobo one of these, Dave? The Kobo Touch is £100, and claims a
month of battery life, but obviously we wouldn't want to get one if it
has unbearable user interface or performance.

Thanks.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2