[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Christopher McLean C.J.McLean at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 16:31:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've had a kobo touch for about a month now (purchased just before they dropped the price, pah!) and I love it. Screen is good, battery life is also very impressive. It works happily under Linux with Calibre. It runs linux under the hood. I'm yet to try, but with the wifi connection, you can enable telnet and ftp. There seems to be some work on rooting/custom roms. The kobo store has book prices matching or less than amazon.

It supports most ebook formats, including PDF (yet to test), but calibre just does auto conversion for you so you never have to worry about this)

 It takes a micro sd card, but I'm yet to even touch the top of the internal 16Gb of internal storage. The awards are a nice touch (think foursquare for reading). Once plugged in via USB, it does just pop up as a mountable USB storage device (or two devices, if there's an sd card in the device).

They are also now available form asda

A few nagging points:

*         If you have bucket loads of books (hundreds and hundreds), the whole thing grinds to a halt

*         Under normal use, the interface has some lag, but it does only have a dinky little processor in it. Going from sleep to the last opened book is very fast though, so they've optimised on the most used tasks

*         Adobe drm'd books (adobe digital editions) can be used (e.g. from leeds library), but you need windows to activate the device the first time - you need to register your device with adobe first time (I think, haven't bothered a great deal with this)

And, it's now cheaper comparably with the kindles.. get one!

Chris