[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Thu Dec 15 11:49:30 UTC 2011

>On 15 December 2011 10:47, Nigel Metheringham <nigel at dotdot.it> wrote:
>> On 15 Dec 2011, at 10:36, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Because low-cost Intel chips don't include support for virtualisation?
>>

>> You can virtualise without CPU hardware virt support - you just take
>> a performance hit (a few % on VMware), and lose the ability to virtualise
>> a system which has a contained virtual machine (and its turtles all
>> the way down).
>
>Thanks Nigel, that's good to know.
>
>Previous (unpleasant) experience with non-VMWare options some years
>ago, led me to believe that the performance hit without hardware
>support was unacceptable.

There are some Intel/AMD architecture snaggles.  Before Vista I never
noticed a Windows install which included specific Intel processor DLLs.
If you intend to virtualise an Intel-based system and want to run it on
an AMD hypervisor (Type 1 or Type 2) its a good idea to uninstall the
Intel specifics before virtualisation!

btw performance-wise I have been using VMware for almost 20 years and
(with little memory) the degredation is only really noticable when you
are running intensive mutli-image loads (eg. a distributed simulation).

Andrew