[Wylug-discuss] Easy HTML/Wiki Table Editing

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 15:22:26 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I've recently been editing dozens of quite big HTML tables which I
need to store/view in plain text and on a wiki.

While I can create and initially populate such tables very quickly in
vim, it's becoming a pain to do quick tiny edits of individual,
randomly selected, cells.

Problems:
1. Mental effort translating between visual horizontal stacking and
textual vertical stacking of cells in rows
2. Mental effort to place the cursor by search
3. Text editors losing view of column headers in even moderately sized tables

I thought I might try using a gui editor for those sorts of edit (i.e.
point at a cell, edit it, done), but I was utterly horrified when I
saw the state of HTML in LibreOffice.

I'd have been ashamed to write such crap back in 1996.

More importantly, for every second saved entering data I'd lose a
couple of minutes removing all the stupid HTML formatting and inline
CSS ... not to mention a compulsory run through HTML Tidy.

Any suggestions/tips on quick and easy ways to randomly edit HTML and
wiki tables?

Dave