[Wylug-discuss] Desktop environments - would anyone like to talk?

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 03:00:05 UTC 2011

Just to note, that rather than talking about LXDE per se, I'm more
likely to be talking about the LXDE-based desktop provided by lubuntu.

I don't want to 'shoot my own fox', but if you are looking for a much
lighter gnome-2 style desktop, I'd suggest giving it a whirl.

The default configs and the hybridisation with various xfce and gnome
utilities offers a considerable improvement over the stock
LXDE/OpenboxWM that it sits on top of.

The thing that most impressed me, is that the basic metric of screen
refresh speed is massively better than the stock LXDE that I was using
until recently.

Thus far (crossed fingers) it's reminding me of the 'just works',
hassle-free, experience that I got from Ubuntu before it got bloated
and fondleslab-fiddly.

Dave