[Wylug-discuss] How do you get Linux jobs?

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:47:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Glenn Glidden <glenn at glidden.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> The problem is my CV is all Microsoft, with the exception of where I’ve used
> Ubuntu Server in the College and provided Joomla/Moodle/Mahara/SugarCRM
> installs.  I have covered the Linux+ syllabus through an OU course but don’t
> have the qualification.  I’ve covered all the areas required for a network
> deployment, just using Microsoft software for the domain and server services
> and applications.
>
> My questions are these (especially to anyone in WYLUG who actually employs
> Linux techies).
>
> a)      What would your view be if someone applied for a job with that type
> of CV?  Would the limited Linux experience put you off?

commercial m$ admin but no commercial linux should be a problem
provided you know linux well  and you rewrite your CV to demonstrate
to show how well you know linux

> b)      What is the general market for Linux jobs at the moment?

not sure - development is hot ATM

easiest way to find out is to test the market

1. create a new email account and sign up for lots of job emails using
linux as the search term
2. ensure your LinkedIn profile has your linux skills on

> c)       Would experience in a commercial Linux deployment be useful (i.e.
> would voluntary work help me; I have time on my hands at the moment!)?

unpaid commercial work may be problematic...

get involved with the distros. debian, ubuntu, gentoo, fedora etc are
always looking for new volunteers.

> d)      What else should I be doing to make the switch?

BradLUG  ;-)

Robert