[Wylug-discuss] How do you get Linux jobs?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Mar 17 13:56:19 UTC 2011

Glenn Glidden writes:

> Hello. I wonder if I could cheekily pose a few questions to the group
> which might help me in my current job search.

Hi Glenn. That isn't cheeky -- discussing anything Linux related is
exactly what this list is for. (Apologies for taking over a week to
reply.)

> A bit of background first.  I am in the process of looking for another
> job after having recently been made redundant as a .Net developer.
> Previous to that, I was a network manager and then IT manager for a
> Leeds FE College.
>
> I switched to programming as I wanted a career change, but now realise
> I am more suited to server and network management so I'm going back to
> that and would like to switch from Microsoft technology to Linux
> technology in the process.
>
> The problem is my CV is all Microsoft, with the exception of where
> I've used Ubuntu Server in the College and provided
> Joomla/Moodle/Mahara/SugarCRM installs.  I have covered the Linux+
> syllabus through an OU course but don't have the qualification.

I wouldn't worry about qualifications and certifications -- all of the
great sys-admins I know are self-taught from playing about with things,
and very few of them have any Linux or Unix qualifications.

> I've covered all the areas required for a network deployment, just
> using Microsoft software for the domain and server services and
> applications.
>
> My questions are these (especially to anyone in WYLUG who actually
> employs Linux techies).

Webfusion employs Unix sys-admins, and does advertise vacancies on
Wylug. Unfortunately for you we've just filled one, so aren't looking at
the moment. However, I am not in the sys-admin team, I'm not directly
involved in the recruitment, and my comments below are my personal
thoughts, not any official Webfusion policy.

> a)      What would your view be if someone applied for a job with that
> type of CV?  Would the limited Linux experience put you off?

What really matters is ability rather than experience. Experience is
often a handy way of demonstrating ability, but if you can show that you
have the relevant skills in other ways, lack of experience in a similar
job shouldn't completely rule you out.

Partly you get to demonstrate your experience at any interview, by
answering technical questions well (or a test, if given one), but to get
to that stage you need to mention the relevant skills on your CV, even
if not as part of a previous job.

Wanting to get away from Windows and work with Linux instead is
something that many Linux teams will understand and sympathize with.

Some employers search the web for information on job applicants, so it's
beneficial if they see you being knowledgeable and helpful -- perhaps by
answering questions on mailing lists or on sites like Server Fault. Or
if there's a particular task you spend some time researching how to do
and then come up with a good method, write about it on your website, as
a guide for anybody else wanting to do the same thing.

> b)      What is the general market for Linux jobs at the moment?

For what it's worth, of our two recent Linux sys-admin vacancies, one
took us several months to fill and t'other one only a few days -- I've
no idea which is more representative of the overall market.

> c)       Would experience in a commercial Linux deployment be useful
> (i.e. would voluntary work help me; I have time on my hands at the
> moment!)?

Yes. If you're playing with the relevant technology, even if not getting
paid for it, that's helpful to you in practising appropriate skills and
in providing evidence of that.

> d)      What else should I be doing to make the switch?

One of the advantages of switching to Linux is that the software is
freely available, so you can download and play with things on your own
computers; much can be learnt in your own home just as well as in a job.
If there's some software you've heard of being used by sys-admins but
you haven't used, install it and find out about it. For example, if you
haven't used Puppet and you have two computers you could try using that
to sync config between them.

And being involved in Wylug can't do any harm -- especially giving a
talk on a subject. I was offered my first job by somebody who'd seen me
present at Wylug.

> Thanks for any help or opinions you can offer.

Best wishes with the job search.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2