[Wylug-discuss] MP3 (UMS) Disk Space Usage

Towle, William William.Towle at echostar.com
Thu May 5 11:29:20 UTC 2011

> > I'd do the same.  I'd tend to format it on the device itself, but it
> probably
> > doesn't greatly matter.
>
> Good point actually. FAT implementations seem to be of variable quality.

  I'd let the device do it if possible. I had a player that insisted on connection to a Windows box in the event of corruption (presumably because an fsck[/chkdsk] required more memory than was available to just play MP3s), and it choked at my first attempt at what I thought I should do from Linux in lieu. If it helps I seem to recall that mine couldn't cope with the cluster size necessary to address every last sector on the [externally-exposed bit of] disk.

W.