[Wylug-discuss] Recommendation: Linux-compatible Netbook Under GBP 250?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 25 12:21:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011, Smylers wrote:

> James Holden writes:
>
>> I'd suggest going down to PC World and test driving them, then buying
>> on-line.
>
> As little fondness as I have for Dixons Group, I think Tim O'Reilly's
> plea to buy where you shop applies here:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/articles/buy_where_shop.html

I think the reality is that for a number of things it's a broken business
model having the high street shop, so they'll close, and we'll all be worse
off for it.

If the shop is charging 50% more for the product and not giving you a service
to match it certainly doesn't compel you to buy from there, but if they give
you a good service, I certainly think you should feel compelled to either buy
at face value or try to haggle for a discount and if it's close enough [to
justify the service you've had] to what you can get it for online then buy it.

You can often get enough silly little extras thrown in for free you don't feel
ripped off even if the face price is wildly different.

jh