[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu loses the plot: looking elsewhere...

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:09:23 UTC 2011

On Friday 14 Oct 2011 19:46:03 Simon Brown wrote:
> At Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:20:05 +0100,
> Can anyone comment on the relative merits of KDE based distros? I
> hadn't heard of Pardus. I'd always thought of SuSE as the leading
> KDE distro.

My own experience of the latest release of Sabayon KDE was that it was
wobbly in places.  Kubuntu can be good but it can also go up and down
a bit depending on what the latest release is doing.  Linux Mint was
good for me until I messed up an upgrade of KDE.  Couldn't get at
Kmail due to the fact that the Akonadi server blocked access.  My
fault.  I'm running Debian Squeeze with - http://www.debian-
desktop.org/doku.php.  This gives a rock solid desktop that is up to
date.  My Squeeze web server is also reliable.  PC-BSD 9 is also good.
Others ?  I've tried them all at one time or another.  Something like
Virtualbox can be good for having a look at them until you make up
your mind to switch to something.

If I'm going to switch to another distro I will have two or three
disks in front of me.  Such as Debian, openSuSE and Kubuntu.  I know
that these work.  Then I'll have the other one that I'd like to use on
the desk in front of me as well.  If it refuses to boot or install I
can fall back on to one of the others.

--
Richard