[Wylug-discuss] Laptops again

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Mon Oct 17 22:41:59 UTC 2011

> Hi,
> I know this has been discussed before, but things move on. I need a new
> laptop under £500 and have found a new lenovo Z570, dual core i3 with 6GB
> ram for £430 delivered. Seems like a good deal, anyone got any better
> suggestions?
> Should add that I expect it to be ok with linux as it is available from
> linuxemporium for a lot more money and less ram.

Sounds like a fairly safe bet.

The only reservation I'd have is the nVidia graphics. You might want to
consider the B570 (integrated graphics only) or G570 (AMD GPU) to avoid
proprietary driver pain.  In my experience (previous generation i5) the intel
embedded Intel graphics aren't as under-powered as they used to be, and are
even sufficient for casual gaming.

Paul