[Wylug-discuss] Laptops again

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 07:08:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Paul Brook wrote:

> Sounds like a fairly safe bet.
>
> The only reservation I'd have is the nVidia graphics. You might want to
> consider the B570 (integrated graphics only) or G570 (AMD GPU) to avoid
> proprietary driver pain.  In my experience (previous generation i5) the intel
> embedded Intel graphics aren't as under-powered as they used to be, and are
> even sufficient for casual gaming.

I'd agree with you about current Intel HD Graphics, but not about proprietary
driver pain.  I don't know what distro you're on, but the pain on Fedora /
CentOS is decidedly minimal (to the extent I'd struggle to call it pain), and
the general quality of their driver and OpenGL implementation easily covers
it.  Avoid laptops with 'Optimus', where you have an Intel and an nVidia
graphics chipset, as that *is* likely to end in a world of pain.

jh